- Age: 40 years
- Job title: Scientific Laboratory Manager
- Location: Pune, India
- Nationality: Indian
- Professional qualification: Masters, PhD
- Career history: 10+ years research and scientific experience in India with institutes and companies
- Key areas of expertise: Chemistry.
Where/how did you come across Grow Movement?
An internet link sent by a friend.
Why did you decide to join Grow Movement?
I just wanted to volunteer
- Name: Ms Joyce Binali
- Business name: Manna Cafe
- Age: 42 years
- Gender: Female
- Country: Malawi
- Family: Husband
- What does the business do: Restaurant and catering business selling food and beverages
- How many employees: 5
- Key customers: Students from the nearby university
What was your first phone call like?
It was short; more of an introduction.
What approach did you to take to identify the problems facing the business?
Talk, listen and probe with patience.
What business tools did you use?
Q&A, email, survey, feedback, small talk, views exchange.
How many sessions did you have?
How long were the sessions?
30 minutes to an hour.
What preparation did you do?
How much email interaction did you have?
A lot. Towards the end we used more email communication.
What objectives did you work on?
Legal issues, focus of business, operations, HR and management.
How did you manage being able to consult when you didn’t know the industry or the country?
It did not seem to be a problem. I understand business as I have an MMA and Joyce knew the local area.
What cultural challenges did you face?
Communication and understanding.
What was the hardest thing about the project?
It was not hard.
What benefits (personal and professional) did you get out of the project?
What impact did you have?
- The business owner has greater confidence;
- One new sales assistant job;
- 50% Increase in sales;
- Improvement in customer care, finance and marketing business skills.
What would you say to another person who was thinking about becoming a consultant for Grow Movement?
Just do it. Volunteering is a great investment of your time.
How would you describe your experience at Grow Movement in five words?
I earnestly admire your work.