Why should I volunteer? Because I want to...
- Make a direct, tangible and sustainable impact. Create employment, enhance the business skills of an entrepreneur and increase profitability
- Improve my skills. Develop and enhance consulting, cross cultural communication and coaching skills
- Gain new knowledge. Learn about different business sectors in an emerging market
- Be challenged. Consulting via technology to Uganda is not for everyone. The business landscape is very different, data is limited and the usual tools available for business are not readily accessible
- Experience a fulfilling opportunity that inspires, motivates and refreshes me
- Connect with likeminded business professionals. Grow has a vast global network of over 500 volunteer consultants
- Support through skills development rather than aid and hand outs
What impact will I have?
Providing business skills to a micro entrepreneur by Skype and mobile unlocks their potential. It improves the sustainability of their company, increases their profitability, and creates employment. Many clients go on to share their skills and new found professional confidence with other budding entrepreneurs in the community.
What do I have to commit to? I will commit to…
- A minimum of 40 hours divided into 12, one hour sessions and 2 hours of preparation, research and administration for each session across a 6 month period
- Accessing Skype and paying for the cost of calls to a mobile when the internet is not available
- Being patient, determined and flexible with timings
- Updating the Grow Movement IT system
What skills do I need? I am able to…
- Finance: Analyse financial performance and teach concepts of operating costs, pricing and cash flow
- Strategy: Review business plans and be confident enough to help expand or improve the business model
- Marketing: Assess marketing strategies and teach concepts of customer care, loyalty and competition analysis
- Probing: Find out information without overwhelming clients and check their understanding without asking ‘do you understand?’
- Language: Speak in an easy simple fashion rather than using ‘consultanese’
- Creative problem solving: Be confident in dealing with entrepreneurs that do not have complete data, or sometimes no data at all
- Flexibility: Flexible between different styles including consulting, teaching and coaching in one session
What experience do I need?
- Minimum of five years commercial experience post-graduation
- Mentoring, coaching and/ or teaching experience
- Experience with improving business performance; gained during running your own business, as a management consultant, mentoring with small businesses, or working in a corporate environment
- MBA post graduate (not whilst studying) or equivalent business/ education experience or professional qualification including accountant, lawyer, chartered surveyor etc.
- Communicating by Skype
- Personal or business experience working in Africa, ideally East Africa would be great but not a must
- Fluency in English
Who are Grow Movement Volunteer Consultants?
Grow Movement consultants consult from 61 countries around the world; 49% UK, 11% USA, 10% Europe and 6% from Africa. 72% are male and ages range from 25 to 70 with an average age of 36.